I had some extra kefir ready and I've always wanted to use it in a recipe that does not require cooking it, for avoiding to destroy the beneficial bacteria. Searching the web I found this lemon kefir ice cream on chocolate & zucchini. The flavor and aromas of this ice cream were very strong. I did not have any fruit when I made it, but I think it would go well with peaches or berries. Here's my version of the recipe.
- 1 2/3 cups of kefir
- The zest of one organic lemon
- 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp of white rum
- Combine all the ingredients together and mix with a whisk, until well blended. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and freeze in the ice cream maker, according to the manufacturing instructions.
- If you do not have an ice cream maker, put the ice cream in the freezer and mix every 45 minutes until ready (about 5 hours).
- Or you can follow the instructions in this video.