Saturday, September 4, 2010

Milk kefir

The first time I had Kefir, my friend Yuhfen gave it to me, together with some grains to start my culture. Since then, I drink kefir almost every day.

Kefir is like a more liquid version of yogurt, but much easier to make. You just pour cold milk from the fridge on the grains and wait for 24-36 hours.

I don't need to talk about kefir that much, since there are people more dedicated than me reporting infor and instructions on what kefir is (here and here) and hoe to make it (here). Nonetheless, I gave my little contribution in my post about Kombucha tea. If you don't want to go to the link, here's what I say about it:
 
Non all probiotic foods are healthy. For example, it is easy to find scientific articles describing the link between kefir consumption and decrease of several types of cancer (e.g., Parvez et al., 2006). Kefir is a fermented milk that produces something similar to yogurt. It tastes a little alcoholic and it is known to have many health benefits. To give you an idea the search for "kefir+cancer" on a database such as pubmed gives you immediately more than 100 results.


Here, I just want to show my way to drink it: some fresh fruit and dark chocolate. My favorite is peach, but berries, kiwis and bananas are perfect as well.

You can even make stuff, like pancakes with it.



No comments: