Saturday, September 25, 2010

Mini-donuts with ricotta cheese and cocoa

My version of "ciambelline ricotta e cacao" from Le cuochine (if you can read Italian :-). The amount of butter seemed to be a little to much for so I reduced it. I did not have A/P flour so I used bread flour... They were tasty but a little chewy, so I corrected the recipe with 1/2 tsp extra of baking powder. The reason was also the poor quality of the ricotta cheese I used. I was not completed satisfied but given the circumstances, not bad at all. They are definitely worth another try. 

Ingredients:
  • 240 g ricotta cheese
  • 60 g butter
  • 150 g sugar
  • 50 g cocoa powder
  • 200 g A/P flour (plus more for dusting)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  •  
  • 1/4 cup of powdered sugar for dusting 
Preparation:
  • Whisk sugar and ricotta until soft and fluffy. Add the egg and mix until well incorporated. Then add the cocoa, butter and the mixture of flour, salt and baking powder. The final dough should be sort of taught and compact. 

  • Shape the dough in little donuts (I made 16 but the original recipe called for 50...) Place them in a baking pan and bake at 300F for 10-12 minutes.









”tuesdaytwister”

5 comments:

Kristen said...

These sound very intriguing. I've never heard of them before.

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog so that I could find yours. I think the layout of your blog rocks!

Matilda said...

Hi Kristen! Thanks, If you try the donuts and you successfully improve the recipe let me know, because it is work in progress...

BTW, I tried your muffins yesterday and I made a disaster! I forgot that the recipe called for bananas and I overcooked them expecting the toothpick to be extra clean and they were too acidic (maybe because I used regular milk kefir). I'll give them another try though!

Miz Helen said...

Your Ricotta Cheese and Cocoa Donuts look amazing. I want to try them really soon.
Thank you...

Joanna said...

Found you via Tuesday Twister... These look fabulous. I love donuts, and the combo of chocolate and cheese=heaven! Thanks for posting.

Leo said...

I'm very happy to see your food blog! I'm glad you've been posting more recently, too!

These mini-donuts look delicious. I have some ricotta cheese in the fridge that I was going to use for cookies, but I may have to make these instead. The challenge will be to figure out what to do with the other third of the container.