Monday, September 27, 2010

Pearl barley and verza cabbage soup

Another groceries-less dish. I made this last week-after stating (even in one of my blog posts) the complete absence of food in my fridge, for the third day in a row. It is amazing how you can find stuff you did not see before, just by looking a little more carefully in the fridge. Well, in the huge emptiness of my fridge, I found leftover cabbage from my cabbage strudel and a bunch of carrots and here it was: my frugal dinner to eat before going to the movies.

The movie was a very good independent documentary about the American Indians Associations, A Good Day To Die. It is a little hard to find but definitely worth it.

I am so happy that fall is here and the soup season has officially started! Here's the recipe enough to  feed 4 people or your self 4 times (such as in my case).


Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cabbage (verza)
  • 3 big carrots
  • 1/2 onion
  • 2 cups of barley
  • 1/2 tsp cumin (optional)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 fresh rosemary stem
  • 1 small potato (optional)
  • 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 cups or more of vegetable broth (optional)
  •  
  • paprika to taste (and garnish)
Preparation:
  • Chop all the ingredients. On medium heat cook the onion in 1-2 tbsp of oil until golden brown. Add carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes then add barley and let it toast for about 3 minutes. At this point add the cabbage and the broth. I did not have broth so I used water, which you can always use if you are a fan of smooth flavors. The liquid should cover all the solid ingredients 2-3 inches above. Add the bay leaf and rosemary and cumin if you are using it or other spices if you like. 
  •  
  • Bring to boil and cook on medium-low for 40 minutes. Set some worm broth or water aside and keep it ready in case you fell that the liquid is absorbing too fast. I do not typically soak the barley before cook it but if you do it for 30-60 minutes, it may reduce the cooking time by 10-20 minutes (depending on the soaking time). The barley should be as tender as you like it: for me soft but still a little crunchy is right.
  •  
  • Remove from heat and serve with some paprika, if you like and a tbsp of the best olive oil you can find. 





Real Food Wednesday Beauty and Bedlam


6 comments:

a moderate life said...

Hi Matilda! Just getting a chance to check out your lovely blog. I love your title! This recipe is perfect for today here in NY because it is cold and rainy! You should totally check out our hearth and soul blog hop on tuesdays and link up one of your recipes. I am now following your blog and thanks for your visit to A moderate life. Alex@amoderatelife

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

This sounds great, I love barley. I think when I make this I might saute the sliced cabbage until golden. What do you think of that additional step? Thanks for stopping by.

Unknown said...

pretty amazing you can come up with something so hearty and healthy from just kitchen left-behinds. i'm impressed. it looks delicious. i just love soup weather and i can't wait for it to arrive in so. california. thank you for stopping by my place. i also would like to invite you to join tuesday night supper clubs on my blog. it is a fun way to share your great cooking.
best
christy

Arnold said...

A good looking result for very little effort. This is my kind of recipe.

wacki04@TheKing'sCourt IV said...

Looks perfects for the upcoming chilly nights! I'd love for you to stop by What's Cooking Wednesday to share one of your recipes (http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/search/label/What%27s%20Cooking%20Wednesday)!! Hope to see you there :)

Turning the Clock Back said...

necessity is the mother of invention!

Thanks for stopping by for What's Cooking Wednesday...come back next week and link up again!

Diane
www.turning-the-clock-back.blogspot.com